Monday 2 February 2015

Three reasons why I don't attend weddings.

It comes as astonishment to my social circle when I uncloak my persona; that I loathe attending weddings.

In our patriarchal society, it is perceived that women/girls or the ‘weaker sex’ is more inclined to present itself on such auspicious occasions. But, not me!

I have my own justification for not being a part of such events and they are as follows:

1.     I find wedding functions horribly and hopelessly boring:
Being an adherent of a Brown family and growing up in an atmosphere where almost every month a wedding was solemnized, functions which were long awaited for, soon lost their essence thus, naturally I grew out of the euphoria. The rituals observed became a hackneyed practice. Soon, there was nothing engrossing about them, no runaway bride or no one to pronounce “I disavow” at the nikkah ceremony!
2.      They have become a hub for gossiping.
When all the like-minded people in the family make themselves comfortable a little tattle is evitable.
What satisfaction is derived from gossiping? I fail to comprehend.  Whatever the reason, I strongly condemn it because no one has the right to judge anyone and make a scandal out of it.

3.     They are a waste of time, money and energy.
Undoubtedly, time is an enigma but that does not justify the notion of wasting this unparalleled blessing of God. As a nation, we possess a rigid attitude of dismissing deadlines and arriving late in wedding functions has become a well-accepted norm, resulting in a disruption in one’s biological timetable leaving one tiresome and lethargic.  Furthermore; I presume that a lot of money is spent on clothes, gifts and dinners even by attendees, which I reckon can be utilized for a more intellectually enlightening experience.


Typical conversations of a Brown family wedding



Therefore, if you feel that my missing a family event more precisely a wedding a lot has been missed on life. Don’t feel so, because the very next day pictures and videos of ‘Family –Bollywood’ dances will start popping-up on your Facebook timeline. 



1 comment:

  1. Well....it all depends upon thinking! =D

    ReplyDelete